My dear friend Katie Coats-soon-to-be-Faye has a new kitten! She is six weeks old and extremely tiny. When I brought Rudyard over, he was easily twice her size. I don't think he's ever met a critter (besides a rat, but he doesn't play with the rats) that is smaller than him.
Here is a picture Katie posted on her Facbook, just so you can see how tiny Pixie is:
So tiny! And apparently she had already doubled in size since Katie first got her, which was about a week ago.
At first, Pixie hissed and smacked Rudyard in the face. She didn't use her claws, most kitties don't at first, and Rudyard was pretty unphased.
When he had first met Douceline, he had gotten smacked hard (she's so much older and stronger than a six week old baby!) that he got upset and crawled under the TV stand. This time, he kinda shook his head and forgot about it.
Well, Rudyard had a new room to explore, so he was very excited and distracted. He didn't care about other animals in the room. He was completely oblivious to everything. This made Pixie comfortable enough that she took her eyes off of him. Katie told me that it was a major improvement and, according to Pixie, things were going very well.
The more Rudyard ran amuck the more Pixie wanted to play with him. She would sometimes play with his tail, but if he turned around then Pixie would back off and hiss.
You see, Rudyard is not an initiator with new critters. The only reason he started playing with Bowie is because Bowie started first. The only reason Rudyard will actively seek out playtime with me or Sam is because we had done it first, therefore establishing with him that playtime was okay.
I am very excited about how he will react when we go to the Ferret Business of GA in Marietta to pick out a buddy.
I just spoke with one of the folks today about it and she suggested two fellas, Ram Drive and.... Remco? I couldn't remember the other name, but I was excited about Ram Drive. I had seen him on their Petfinder website and he looks like a total spaz.
Look at that face! Isn't it just the most exciting face ever?!?!
Ferret Business has informed me to call in ahead so we can arrange a time to play. I'm so excited that Rudyard gets to come. When I had spoken with Savannah Lakes Ferretry in the interest of getting one of their bebes, they did not want any "outsiders" to come in.
If Rudyard gets along with Ram Drive, that would be so super cool. If not and he connects with another buddy, that would also be cool. Isn't that great? HE GETS TO CHOOSE.
I'm stoked. About everything.
No comments:
Post a Comment