I have come to realize I have yet done a proper introduction of the new family addition, Chuchundra.
Chuchundra is Sam's new Guinea Pig. She is cute as a button. This is her third home and her last home.
We acquired her because a coworker of mine told me that her daughter-in-law was unbearably allergic to guinea pigs.
In the past, whenever Sam and I have to make a stop at the pet store, Sam has always enjoyed playing with the pigs.
Even though we had just acquired six rat babies, I still asked Sam if he was interested. And of course he was.
Then Penny-Pig, now Chuchundra.
She is named after the muskrat in Rikki Tikki Tavi, who was too afraid to go in the middle of the room and just stayed next to the walls.
In the Chuck Jones cartoon, they drew the muskrat like a guinea pig. So there is part of the inspiration. The other part is that when Chuchundra first came to us, she didn't know how to deal with the new and unfamiliar smells. So she hid. And when she couldn't hide, she stood in her spot, petrified.
It was cute.
Chuchundra has adjusted very well. She has learned that I am a sap, and all she has to do is ask and I will give her a carrot
(I swear, all the critters in this house have me under their thumb).
She is comfortable enough with her new surroundings that she enjoys padding about the room. Out living room is covered in hay, and Sam just said yesterday that it was like she was grazing our carpet. Which I guess she is.
As with any animal that we acquire, we've been learning about pigs. For example, guinea pigs are like tiny little sheep. They like to graze, they enjoy moving in herds, and they have different ways to communicate with each-other is something is up.
We've learned that Guinea pigs have about twelve different noises/calls they make. I haven't heard all of them. I've heard "Give me a treat," "Get out of my face," "I'm quite content," "Don't touch me there!" and I've heard her talk to herself as she walks about.
So, there we have it. Official introduction.
Geez, I'm bad at intros. It happens with people too. I always forget to introduce people to other people, and then we all stand there twiddling our thumbs.
Aww what a cutie! Glad she is coming out of her shell!
ReplyDeleteExcellent name. I loved watching Rikki Tikki Tavi as a child.
ReplyDelete