Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Vet Appointment

Today went really well. Jack's and Rudyard's only reaction to distemper is a lot of sleepiness, which is how I like it. We also got some flea stuff, so hopefully that craziness will get well under control.

The ladies at the desk really enjoyed watching the boys walk around the waiting room on the leash. I had it set up so I would only have to hold one leash, and then it broke off into two leashes that latched to their harnesses. That didn't work out very well because Jack kept dragging Rudyard around on the tile floor. Eventually, Rudyard just sat in my lap while Jack sniffed about until we were called in.

Rudyard is TWO POUNDS. He's lost 0.1 since he went in to get his fluids shot when he was sick; he's lost 0.3 since he went in for his wellness exam to meet his new vet. I know that ferrets tend to lose all their gained weight during the summer; I just hate seeing my babies so thin. I enjoy my critters being plump.

Jack is THREE POUNDS, SIX OUNCES. Holy crap in a basket.  Just. Crap. Wow. He's still not a full-fledged year yet.

Poor Rud had a tough time at the vet today. Because of his lack in plumpness, both the distemper and rabies shot gave him extreme discomfort and may even have hurt a little. Of course, ferret skin is very tough, so I'm sure it was more like a pinch rather than a shot. Usually the discomfort comes from the fluid actually being injected. I don't know if that was the case here, I'm just guessing. Jack didn't even notice he got stabbed in the butt with a distemper shot.

Rudyard kinda freaked out when the vet tech was handling him; I think I may start scruffing the boys instead of letting them do it. I wonder if the vet tech was scruffing him wrong. Anywho, he peed all over the weight table and scratched the vet tech with his monstrously long claws (that is my fault! I need to clip their nails soooo badly). She bled a little and I apologized, but she seemed unconcerned. "Part of the job," she told me with a laugh.

Right now the boys are meandering about in my room. I set up a water bottle and food in the corner; I figured they would fall asleep on the bed or somewhere, but they seem pretty determined to investigate things. Which is never a bad thing. However, I am certainly very tired from the doctor's visit, so maybe I will go take a nap. :)

1 comment:

  1. Yup. Super long nap. I felt like I went into Sleep Land, instead of skimming on top of it.

    ReplyDelete