I've had a ridiculously adventurous past two weeks.
I broke my elbow about a week and a half ago during dance rehearsal. I was attempting a high kick from Beyonce's "All The Single Ladies/Put A Ring On it" when both my feet left the slippery concrete floor and I came crashing down, my weight all onto one point.
A few days after that, I moved into a duplex with Eddy where our management is insanely incompetent and slow moving.
While the break isn't actually terribly bad and takes a total of six weeks to heal, dealing with this thing has been one of the hardest things I've done so far. Not being able to function to the same capacity that I'm used to is mind-boggling and pretty upsetting.
All my friends and family have been amazingly helpful and encouraging. I've been out of my sling for the past five days and, while it was pretty difficult at first, I think I'm getting used to working around my arm.
I can't work my second job as a server, unfortunately, so half my income for the month is temporarily suspended. While I'm working at the library, I can't actually shelve very much. I try to, but my arm can only go up so high.
The worst of it, which has gotten substantially better, is sleeping at night. I tend to wake up at least once a night thinking, "Oh man, that really fucking hurts." I wonder if its because when one drifts off into sleep and then you wake up and you're not quite aware of what's going on? Or maybe I sleep funny and keep thinking I can sleep like I normally do, but I can't? Or maybe its just sore?
I dunno.
But regardless, I'm still really grateful to all my family and friends that have helped me out. Eddy's been Superman for sure, and my mom has been great, and all my friends are endlessly wonderful and helpful. I feel really lucky.
And I'm sure people who are very active can feel me here--it's hard being so independent one minute and then not even being able to dress yourself the next. It's hard losing your own schedule and having to be dependent on what everyone else can do for you.
Not that I'm complaining about having to be dependent on other people's schedules--it's just such a huge change! All of the sudden changes have been hard on me, but I'm finally working around it. Plus I am capable of getting dressed AND putting make-up on, as well as manage to put my contacts on one-handed. And, I'm hoping, maybe I'll be able to actually wash and blow dry my hair one handed so I don't look so raggedy and disheveled. :P
And now I'm going to stop my blubbering.
No comments:
Post a Comment