Sam and I had a nice walk-about in the Bot Gardens today. Not only did we see a couple of baby deer nibbling on tree bark, the real treat was a little spat between two squirrels. Unfortunately, we were not accompanied by a camera so you folks will have to use your imagination for this one.
I couldn't tell you the relationship between these two squirrels--if there was already something established, if it was a first date, I don't know. All I know there was a boy and a girl, and the boy was attempting to court the lady and the lady was not in the mood.
The real kicker is he didn't seem to know what to even do. He would approach her, she would yell and spit at him, he would back off and look nervously about, then try it again. The female didn't leave the branch she was on, and it wasn't as if she was doing anything important either. Just whenever the fellow came up to her, and he did persistently and from all angles, she would yell at him and hiss and squeak and make other squirrel-like noises until he backed off.
Sam and I laughed about the possibilities that could be playing behind this scene.
One possibility? He was a newly made man and he was trying to prove it, but didn't know how to go about it.
Another: he and his wife were having some sort of disagreement and he was trying to make up for it, but she wasn't quite ready to forgive him yet.
Another: The female was not publicly affectionate and wasn't interested in doing that sort of thing while people were watching,
A third squirrel came out at some point. He was hanging out on another tree. Sam and I figured he was the neighbor telling them to "keep it down or I'll call the police!"
Yup. That's how our brains work.
No comments:
Post a Comment