The next day was the best day so far. Sam and I went to the Zoological Park de Beauval. It is so far one of the best zoos I have ever been too. The animals are all so happy and constantly having babies. We got there at about 10am and didn't leave until 7pm that evening. Our bodies were hurting, but it was worth it.
Of course there were critters we had seen before, but still just as happy to see them again; especially in France!
We got to see a spectacle show with birds of prey followed by a show with sea lions. The birds were interesting.
I've never seen a spectacle show before, but I always assumed they were terrible things where the critters are manipulated by use of fear. This was not the case.
I loved seeing the meerkats, although they made me miss my babies terribly. There was a little gap I found where they were able to stick their very long claws through and scrape the same way the ferrets will fruitlessly claw at a closed door. I touched one of their long nails and wanted to wiggle my finger in further to touch their noses. But I had to remind myself that their teeth were probably much sharper than MoMo's, and I had to remind myself that I did not actually enjoy it when MoMo or Rudyard bit me—it was just something they did.
The porcupines were also fantastic. They were snuffling around, acting like bunnies or pigs with enormously quilled armor. The ledge for their area was not terribly high and I was able to sit on it and lean in some. I really wanted to reach in a grab a quill they had shed but knew better. I'm not THAT crazy, although this trip is sure making me sound like a nutter.
The park was also filled up with ducks. Everywhere there were ducks ducks ducks. Sometimes we were followed.
We visited the Great Apes.
But the alpha orangutan was very interested in Sam's backpack. I was trying to get a picture of him resting but couldn't with the current lens, so Sam and I sat down infront of the glass to switch out the lens. Papa Orangutan gets up suddenly (slowly, but still suddenly and with interest) and heads over our way. He plants himself in front of us, directly on the other side of the glass and presses his face against the glass. We see him of course and continue switching out the lenses, but very slowly. He watches us with intense interest. Once we are done with Sam's bookbag, Papa Orangutan stands up, collects some hay, and makes himself a pillow-bed in the corner.
We stayed with the orangutans for a while. There was a new baby who was learning all the things babies learn when they are growing up. Eventually, we even got to see Momma Orangutan put Baby to bed. It was awesome.
When we were done walking about the zoo and revisiting all of our favorites, we ran into the Zoo's Boutique. I hunted high and low for any merchandise resembling a capybara or mara, but alas. The zoo's boutique was mostly Animal Cracker Animals—lions, tigers, elephants, zebras. There were some sea lions and parrots, and even a few tapirs. But no capybara. I contemplated purchasing a meerkat but decided the one item they had that was a meerkat was too ugly. Plus it was a figurine. I was looking for something more like a plushie, something that could hang out with my stuffed otter, my ferret puppet, and my black footed ferret.
When we got home I was ready to fall asleep and never wake up.
For Your Supreme Enjoyment, Here Are Some Animal Pictures:
An agouti, eating a coconut.
Gorilla Mommy with her baby
And the ever-grumpy gorilla daddy
Capybara feeding time
Lemur, looking for some noms
Red lemur who's favorite past-time is sun bathing
Mara, a type of Cavy and relative of the Capybara
Rocking Penguins
Resting porcupine
The grande brown bear, something foreign to these parts of the world
White tiger mom
Sea lion resting after its vigorous show
Manatee coming up for air; another creature incredibly foreign to this part of the world
The 'Roo Family
The meerkats made me mega-happy
OLIPHANTS!
Chimpanzees
Orangutans
Pygmy Marmoset
This guys followed us around a lot, begging for food. We didn't give him any, but we sure appreciated the company.
Sam does not look very happy with a bird on his shoulder. Maybe he would have preferred a monkey ?
ReplyDeleteSam enjoyed the bird on his shoulder very much. I think he was trying to get his head out of the way of the camera? But also, I think he looks very handsome and serious in that photo.
ReplyDeleteOnce again, great pictures and writing!
ReplyDelete