Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Unfairness

You know what? I'm sure SOMEHOW authors have issues and trouble getting published and they have to use their willpower and patience.

BUT there are so many crappy books out there!
Is it because it is safe to write a crappy book? Are really good books just too dangerous to write?

I know I'm conceited in saying this, but I wrote a really really good book! I wrote it and I illustrated it. It's a piece of nonfiction--usually that can sell pretty well, right? I mean go upstairs in our library. We don't have enough space for all of the textbooks, memoirs, background & history, how-to's, travel guides....

Everyone has told me that they enjoyed Year of the Rat. Are hoighty-toighty publishers to fancy for an independent first-timer? I mean, I even tried the companies that have a higher success rate with first-time authors.

Another publishing company said they only took black-and-white graphic novels. I said, YOU CAN MAKE IT BLACK AND WHITE. JUST TELL THE PRINTER TO DO BLACK-AND-WHITE PRINTS.

Nothing.

I read that first-time authors should also anticipate critique from publishing companies. Good critique. Helpful stuff. Well, I didn't get anything. Unless the black-and-white thing was a critique. And if it was, that's a weird critique.

What should I do? Send my chicken-shit romance novel that I collaborated with Victoria with because we were bored to some publisher? Yeah, I could send it to the Harlequin books. I mean, the story makes no sense. You don't even know what time period you are in. And the sex-scenes are probably not even explicit enough. I don't even know if there is enough foreplay, or sexual tension.

I guess I'm just mad because I don't know what it is. Maybe I have no patience, or maybe I think I'm better than I really am. Maybe I'm full of myself, fuller than my can of Mountain Dew.

Blechity blechity blech.

No comments:

Post a Comment